Photobucket

Thursday, January 24, 2013

2013

Shortly before Christmas, I read "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  I enjoyed reading about her experiences trying to increase her happiness.  So, this year, instead of setting resolutions, I decided that I would do my own version of a happiness project. 
I decided to think about some of the happiest times in my life and list characteristics of my life during those times.  Then I tried to find the common factors among those times.  It just so happens that there were 12 commonalities.  So, I decided to focus on one of these things each month.  Then, I broke down each one and set goals under them.  I'm excited for this project.
For the month of January, I am focusing on having a consistent exercise schedule of something I like doing.  I love to exercise for so many reasons.  It makes me feel better--happier, healthier, and more emotionally stable.  And my exercise of choice is jogging.  It has been a VERY long time since I have been able to fit regular running into my daily routine.  And I definitely miss it.  It has been so easy for me to make excuses.  When I was working nights, it was so hard to get any kind of regular exercise in.  It seemed too easy to choose sleep over exercise.  And then, I was pregnant.  Then, I had a small baby.  And now, Jason is gone a lot for work so it is hard to have any kind of schedule for "me time".  So, I have made a lot of excuses.  I decided that the best solution to all of these excuses was for me to get a gym pass where there is a day care so that I can go whether Jason is in town or not.  So, a couple of weeks ago, I got a membership to Gold's Gym.  It includes unlimited day care.  It has been really fun to be in the gym again.  I met with a personal trainer which is something completely out of my comfort zone.  But, it really helped to motivate me and set some goals and give me the confidence to work hard to achieve them.  I still haven't picked a consistent time to go, but I have been able to make it there 3-4 times a week.  And that is progress. 

No comments: