Photobucket

Sunday, November 04, 2007

A Proud Mom Moment

Today Haley made me come to Primary with her because she was being really clingy and tired. So, I was sitting in there with her during singing time. The first song they sang was "I'm trying to be like Jesus". Britton sat there and sang it so well. It's one of his favorite songs and he sings it all the time at home, but he isn't always very participatory (is that a word?) at church. Well, the Primary president noticed how well he was singing and called him up to help her lead the song again. Again, he sang really well, so she asked if he wanted to try singing it all by himself. Surprisingly, he agreed and stood there and sang the whole song by himself for everyone. It was the cutest thing. It made me so proud. If any of you know Britton, you know that he is a really shy kid. If an adult asks him anything, he usually just stares there unresponsive. He gets really shy around people and won't even tell them his name or age. So, it was amazing to see him up there singing. He has a great voice and really loves to sing, so I'm happy to see that he's coming out of his shell a bit and sharing his wonderful spirit with other people besides just us.

I wish I could say that I was proud of him the whole time I was in there. Unfortunately, probably less than 10 minutes after he sang, he began fighting with the boy next to him--pinching him and getting really angry. I had to take him out where he still couldn't get under control for a while.

I guess that's what motherhood is really like though--overflowing with pride over your child's actions one minute, then completely embarrassed and frustrated by their actions the next.

Maybe I just need to remember him up there singing. And remember the words to the song--He is trying to be like Jesus. And he is sincerely trying. But, "trying" is the key word. I think I need to remember that.

No comments: