Photobucket

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Tuesday Tell All--Movie Madness

I'm not really sure what this week's tell-all was supposed to be, but something about movies. I've been thinking a lot lately about the movies I watched as a kid. I've been wanting to make a list so that I can start to acquire some of these. We had the Disney Channel growing up and we recorded almost all the movies that were on. And then we would watch them over and over again. There were many that we probably had memorized. This list contains some of the lesser known Disney movies that I loved. This will probably be the most interesting to my siblings since they may be the only other people in the world who have seen these movies. :)






1. Absent Minded Professor--I think they did a remake of this and it's called "Flubber". I'm not sure if it's good or not, but we loved the original.






2. Babes in Toyland--This version is way better than the one with Drew Barrymore. This is such a fun Christmas movie--the perfect kid melodrama. "Slowly, slowly he sank into the sea!"






3. Emil and the Detectives--This isn't one that we watched so much to have it memorized, but it's a fun plot. I really loved mysteries and detective shows as a kid (I still do!)






4. The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes--A boy turning into a computer--what's not to love? I'm sure it would be pretty funny to go back and watch this movie now that computers are so advanced and so common, the movie's probably pretty obsolete.






5. The Secrets of the Pirates Inn--I couldn't find a picture for this one which probably means you can't buy it anywhere either. This was a really fun movie. Kids following clues to find buried treasure. It's probably really similar to Goonies or something like that.






6. Summer Magic--a classic! Anyone who hasn't seen this should see it. Especially if you like Hayley Mills. There are so many fun songs in it, too! "Gotta crawl, gotta crawl to the ugly bug ball!" "You must walk feminine, talk feminine..." "She's the pink of perfection!" I believe this is one of the movies that we recorded the soundtrack onto cassettes so that we could listen to it in the car or in our rooms. And I'm not just talking about the music, we recorded the ENTIRE movie onto cassette. So, I'm sure we had every single word memorized.






7. North Avenue Irregulars--Such a funny movie! This is another one that I highly recommend if you haven't seen it. Funny small town church people solving crime. It's a hoot!






8. The Trouble with Angels--this is one of the lesser-known Hayley Mills films, but it's probably my favorite. I've always liked nuns and pranks. Favorite Line: "I've got a scathingly brilliant idea!"






9. Misadventures of Merlin Jones--I don't know that this one necessarily one of my favorites, but I sure did end up watching it a lot. It was on a cassette tape in between the Absent Minded Professor and Candleshoe, so I think it got watched a lot just because we liked the other two. It is a fun movie though.






10. Candleshoe--one of Jodie Foster's first movies. Again, another mystery-type movie. A definite must-see in my opinion. "Teddy and Piggy Wig!"






11. Michael O'Hara the Fourth--This is another detective/mystery show with a girl named Michael. It's great.






12. Moonspinners--Another Hayley Mills movie--I guess I'm a bit of a fan. I remember this one being a bit scary when I was little, but I haven't seen it in a very long time, so it's probably not scary at all.






13. For the Love of Willadean --this was one of my favorites, but I don't think you can get it anywhere. There were two different stories about these 3 boys who were in love with the neighbor girl, Willadean (what kind of name is that?). They have some good adventures stealing watermelons and sleeping in haunted houses.
Hmmm, I think I watched a lot of movies as a kid. I kept thinking of more and more as I was making this list, I'll have to stop there. But, for my siblings amusement, remember "Follow Me Boys", "Sammy the Way Out Seal", "The Whiz Kid and the Carnival Caper", and "The Wacky Zoo of Morgan City"?

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Wow, I really think the only one I've seen is Babes in Toyland. I do remember hearing you talk about the Absent Minded Professor before.

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

We too recorded and watched over and over again the disney classics. I have to admit there were a couple on your list I don't think I've seen but most of them were regulars in our house too! You didn't mention polyanna, parent trap, that darn cat, the apple dumping gang, swiss family robinson, all the "herby" movies, the shaggy dog, the list goes on and on.

Wendi said...

I also remember you talking about how much you love Hoosiers all the time. =)