Photobucket

Thursday, May 07, 2009

A bit of randomness

It's been forever since I have blogged and the longer it goes, the more stressed out I get about going back and posting about everything. So, I'll just do it little by little. But, today will just be a random post.

The latest thing our family has been enjoying is going to Classic Skating. A couple weeks ago, Britton's school had a free family night there, so I took the kids. I was a little nervous about being there myself with two kids when none of us are very good on rollerblades. But, when I got there, it was so different than I had pictured. They also allow scooters and strollers on the rink, so it can really be a whole family affair. So, I rented a scooter for Haley and she was off! Britton is a natural on rollerblades, so it just took a little warming up and he was good. The whole night was such a blast! So much so, that this Monday we went again but this time with Jason, too. Haley brought her own scooter and the rest of us rollerbladed. By the end of the night, Britton has trying all kinds of tricks--jumps, spins, etc. I was amazed. He is so funny to watch because he's really fearless and pretty much clueless to anyone else around him so there are always some near misses of him just plowing people over. He also gets so excited about the different little games they play on the rink--the dice game, wipeout, and blackout. It's fun to see him having so much fun and getting so much energy out. I really can't believe that we had never been there before.

Doing things like that always reminds me about what good ages my kids are at right now. I think sometimes I forget that we're not toting around babies and toddlers anymore. And things are so much easier and more enjoyable. I really need to take advantage of that this summer and do tons of fun things. They are at such a fun age and they are capable of doing everything for themselves. Nice.

Jason has been really busy with work lately (which is really good) and it doesn't seem to slow down at all. We have been so blessed since he started his business that I need to sit back and express my gratitude. He's been working so hard and I'm really proud of him.

I really cannot wait for summer! I am so excited to just be able to play with my kids all day everyday. We've really missed Britton a lot this year while he's at school. Speaking of which, I am so proud of how Britton is doing in school. He's come a long way since the beginning of the year. He loves school now and is always saying how fun it is. The other day he was even laughing and joking about how nervous he was on the first few days of school. I am so glad about this because it really is hard on a mom having to send your kid somewhere for the majority of the day when you know they aren't comfortable with it.

I just finished a book called "Stick Figure" by Lori Gottlieb about a young girl's experience with anorexia. I loved it and it was a very insightful look into the mind of a struggling 11 year old. I hope I don't forget some of the things I felt from it about parenting and loving our kids exactly the way they are. And it really made me miss all of my great students from Center for Change. Oh how I loved that job.

Well, I really will go back and post all about all of my pictures because we have been doing lots of really fun things. But, I'll just end this post with something Haley said yesterday. I walked in the room and she said, "Mom, I love you. Do you know why? Because you're so nice to me when I say 'Can we make brownies?' you always say yes" And then she gave me a huge hug and a kiss. I'm glad she's so easily pleased. :)

1 comment:

Desiree said...

I love the ages our kids are at too!