Photobucket

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Pioneer Day Weekend

I started a new tradition this year with the kiddos. We are going to spend Pioneer Day up at the cabin every year. We did all the traditional pioneer things like cooked over a fire, didn't change our clothes for several days, and walked and walked and walked and walked.

I had been wanting to go up to the cabin for longer than an over night stay and this was finally my chance. The kids and I were there all day Thursday, Friday, and most of Saturday. Friday afternoon, Jason's parents brought up Hayden, Corbin, and Landon and they stayed for dinner. It was perfect timing because it was right about that time that they were starting to get a bit antsy for entertainment other than me. Jason came up a few hours after them and then right as they were leaving, the Kammerman's, sans Patricia and baby twins, arrived.

It was so much fun just being up there away from all the distractions of home. My kids are so at home in the mountains. I love watching them play together. And it's much easier for me to focus on them when I am away from the distractions of home too.

The cabin


In the (soon-to-be) fort


Britton!


Haley!


Haley playing cowboy


Dinner--gourmet mac n cheese cooked over the fire (everything tastes better cooked over the fire)


On our Friday morning hike, notice the cute Y necklaces that Britton designed and made


Being goofy


Our hemp necklace making supplies. I'm pretty sure that making hemp necklaces was a favorite hobby of the pioneers.


The Kammerman crew


Wildflowers














One thing that I don't want to forget about this trip. At one point when it was just the three of us, Haley grabbed a stick and started pretending like it was a microphone. She said that she was Britton's sister and that she loved him very much. Anyway, right after that, Britton grabbed the stick microphone and said, "Did everyone hear that? That's my sister Haley. She is so sweet. Life just wouldn't be the same without her." It was just the cutest thing I've ever heard. I love my kids so much.

4 comments:

la_sale_bete said...

It sounds like you had such a great weekend in the mountains!
I really enjoy reading about your adventures.

Kristen said...

Thunder you are so cute, what a good mom you are. Your kids are so sweet, I love those moments when they say nice things about each other it's what makes being a mom worth it.

Desiree said...

That's a great adventure!

Desiree said...

That's a great adventure!