Photobucket

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Fun Weekend

Jason and I had been talking about going to Las Vegas for the MWC tournament this year.  But, as it got closer to this weekend, we both were busy with work and with the price of gas right now, we decided we probably shouldn't go.  So, we decided to let the kids miss school on Friday and head up to our cabin and have our own tournament weekend up there.  It was definitely the right decision.  We had so much fun. 

We spent the weekend up there about 3 weeks ago and had so much fun.  The kids had been dying to go back up.  We meant to leave on Thursday after school, but didn't get done with work and other errands in time, so we left Friday morning.

We could drive a little way up the dirt road, but then you have to snowmobile the rest of the way up.  We loaded all our gear on the little trailer hooked to the snowmobile.  Jason drove that up with Haley and I drove the other snowmobile with Britton.  A few minutes into the ride, my snowmobile died and wouldn't start up again.  (Our last trip, this particular snowmobile didn't run at all, so this wasn't super surprising.)  Jason fiddled around with it for quite a while and then decided we should just leave it and head up to the cabin.  So, Britton went with him and Haley and I started walking.  It was such a beautiful day, so I didn't mind walking at all.  Just when Haley was getting too tired to go any further, we heard the snowmobile coming down to get her.  She got so excited!  Without the trailer hooked on the back, he was able to drive both of us up to the cabin.

Once we were unpacked and settled with the power and water on, Jason decided to go back down and try to fix the other snowmobile.  I took the kids sledding outside.  Haley brought her new tube that she got for her birthday.  Last time, we made a really good sledding run in the driveway of our cabin, so we just tried it out there.  It was fun, but climbing back up the hill was a lot harder this time because the snow wasn't as packed down.  Every few steps, I would sink all the down into the snow which would go up almost to my waist.  It's not so fun and easy to get out of when you are almost 6 months pregnant. 

After a little while sledding, Jason came back saying he had the snowmobile working.  So, the kids went inside to watch some TV while I went back with Jason to retrieve the snowmobile.  We were so happy to have two working snowmobiles.  It makes everything a lot easier. 

That evening, we made dinner, played games, did puzzles, ate lots of junk food, and watched the BYU/New Mexico game.  It was so much fun.  I think the cabin is such a magical place for my kids.  They absolutely LOVE being there.  They are so happy the whole time we are there and play so well together.  I love watching them and being with them. 

Saturday morning, I went outside to sled with the kids.  After a couple of okay attempts on the tube, Haley and I went off the track and flipped over backwards.  I did a back somersault and she flew over the top of me.  She loved it and laughed and laughed, but I decided it was a little much for this pregnant lady and that I better be much more careful with my body.  So, when Jason came out, I told him I couldn't sled anymore, just watch.  We decided to ride the snowmobiles down to find a better sledding spot.  We went down to the main road and there was a perfect spot right on the road.  They could go really far and really fast. And the snow was packed really well from all the snowmobiles.  I just sat and watched the three of them have so much fun.  After a while, Jason sat with me and we both just watched our kids.  I love my family so much.  We were all so content and happy.  That's what life's all about.  The kids would go so far down with each tube run that it would take them forever to get back up the hill.  So, Jason started riding the snowmobile down and giving them a ride back up.  They are so spoiled!

Britton really wanted to go on a fun snowmobile ride with Jason, so Haley and I stayed tubing a little longer and then I took her back to the cabin and we made lunch.  Jason taught Britton how to drive the snowmobile and made him practice turning and steering.  They had a lot of fun.

After lunch, Jason went with the people who have a cabin next to ours on a "grown-up" snowmobile ride.  The kids and I stayed and played.  I worked on a puzzle and the kids went up in the loft to "plan their rock band".  They started composing songs and making schemes to save up their money for an electric bass guitar.  It's so fun to listen to them.  I don't know how Britton is able to get Haley on board with everything he wants, but she is always just as excited as he is.  When we got home, she gladly handed all of her birthday money over to their guitar fund.  And they spent hours looking up electric guitars on ebay and craigslist.  So funny.

We decided to leave the cabin about 3:00 and watch the final BYU game at home, instead of coming back in the dark.  The snowmobiles ran fine and we were able to get all of us down with all our stuff in only one trip without anyone walking.  It's a good thing we left when we did because we were able to help another family parked by us who had flat tires in their car.    

Every time we are at the cabin, all of us just wish we could live there.  We definitely need to go there more often.  I love every single season up there.  I am so grateful that we have a place we can escape to so easily when we all need to relax and spend good quality time together without any distractions. 

No comments: