Photobucket

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Britton's Class

On Friday, I got to go help out with Britton's class party. I really love going to his class. His teacher is great and it's just fun for me to see him with all his classmates and get to know them. I go every Wednesday afternoon to help out with reading, but this is the first time I had been for a party.

When I'm there on Wednesdays, it is after the track 1 kids have gone home, so I really only know half of his class. So when I arrived, there were lots of kids asking who I was. When I said that I was Britton's mom, one girl shouted out, "Britton is so silly all the time." She said it in kind of a negative tone and I thought Britton was going to feel bad because he's super sensitive, but instead he just said proudly, "Well, you should meet my Dad, he's way sillier than me." That made me laugh because at home we are always having discussions about who is the silliest. :)

I was in charge of the games for the party. I planned to play two games with one more as a back up just in case. It turned out to be so much fun. 6 and 7 year olds are so fun to be around. And they love playing games and are so easily entertained. The students were in small groups of 5-6 and then they rotated to different stations around the room. For the first game, the kids sat in the circle and I put a Santa hat on one of them in the middle and then blindfolded that person. Then I spun them around. The person in the middle would point to someone in the circle and that person had to say, "Ho, ho ho!" in their best Santa voice. Then the middle person had to guess who it was. It was a really simple, easy game, but they had such a blast. They laughed and laughed and were so excited for their turn. It was cute watching them try to sound like Santa. Anyway, it turned out quite fun. The second game was just Christmas charades. I put pictures of Christmas and winter things in a bag. They each took turns picking one and acting it out. That was a lot of fun for them too. The other stations were all crafty type things so I was very happy to be where I just got to play with the kids.

Now, I'm excited that Britton doesn't have to go back to school until Jan. 5! I won't mind sleeping in and not having to drive on the slick, icy roads every morning.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

I love Britton's response. Very clever.