Photobucket

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Annoying Habits of My Mind

My brain has some annoying subconscious habits. I'm sure that everybody has something that their brain thinks about when they are not thinking. For me, it's numbers. And more specifically, counting. I catch myself doing it all the time. Just counting. By ones, twos, fours, in French, in English, it does matter, I just count things. I was reminded of it again this morning as I was unloading the dishwasher. I caught myself counting and categorizing the different types of dishes. I don't think it's quite normal (or very useful, for that matter). I also always analyze series of numbers. Whenever, I see numbers I try to figure out the pattern (even if there isn't one, I make one up)--with phone numbers, zip codes, account numbers, whatever. I can always figure out a way that the numbers "make sense" together.
I do the same thing with words, as well. I try to find patterns in them. Palindromes are my favorite. I have a fascination with them. Probably because there is a pattern--they're the same forwards and backwards. I always notice words that are palindromes and more particularly (and this is where it gets a little weird) words that are ALMOST palindromes. And I always feel sad for them that they are so close to being a such a cool word. Especially when it's names of things, I think it's a real tragedy that they didn't give it more thought and make the name a palindrome. Like Nissan, for example, could have easily been Nissin or Nassan. Or Toyota could have been Toyot or Atoyota. Okay, I admit that those sound a bit silly, but this is what my brain does when I'm not thinking about something. It sees a word and wants to change it to a palindrome. I just might be crazy.

No comments: