Photobucket

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Romantic(?) Valentine Adventure

Around 5:00, Jason called from work to tell us to meet him in Springville to go up to the cabin. The day before, he had built a sled out of some plywood, some old skis, and a chair. He built it to be pulled by the snowmobile to carry extra people and stuff up to the cabin. So, he really wanted to test it out.
So, I bundled up our kids and we headed out to meet him. Once we met him, we still had 3 stops before we could head up the canyon--to get pizza, to fill up the gas cans for the generator, and to buy firewood. By the time we got up there, it was pretty dark and really cold.
We drove as far up as we could make it, then unloaded the snowmobile and sled. The four of us piled on the snowmobile. For some reason, Haley was really scared of it. She got all stifflegged and wouldn't sit down on my lap. She calmed down a bit, but I don't think she enjoyed the ride at all. Jason dropped us off at the top of the driveway while he rode ahead to check things out. As I started walking, my first step sunk into the snow and it went up to my thigh. So, I stood there stranded with two little kids in the cold and dark. Britton wanted to run up ahead, but I didn't want him to leave me in case he sunk in the snow or got lost in the dark. I pulled myself out and started walking, carrying Haley and holding Britton's hand, sinking with every step. When we finally got down the the cabin, the door was completely blocked with snow. So, we had to climb onto the deck and go through the back door. It hardly seemed worth all the work it took to get there. But, it was kind of cool looking out the windows and seeing the big snow piles all around us--being snowed in.
After we were all settled, I made a fire in the wood stove and we all huddled on the couch with blankets and pillows. As we stared at the fire, listening to Britton's stories and snuggling, I realized that this was probably the best Valentine's Day ever. Just being with the three people I love the most.

1 comment:

Madame said...

Mary, that sounds like the perfect way to spend Valentine's Day. All snuggled up with the ones you love. :) Ryan got me some chocolate truffles and I am quite sure that has ruined my progress on our contest this week - arghh.