Photobucket

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Politics

I have to start this out by saying that I have never been very political. I don't know why this is. It's just not something that I have ever put very much time into. But, it seems bad to admit that. It seems like I should care more than I do. It seems like I should have more of an opinion than I do. It seems like I should at least stay current on the issues and know who is running for office and the effects it will have on the country and the world if they win. But, sadly, I don't know these things. (I'm exaggerating a little bit--I do know who is running and some of their views, but I should know so much more.) I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and a fairly good person, so it seems like I should be doing more than I am doing.
Since I have been in China, I have found myself in several different political conversations--about our upcoming elections, about the war, and about our country in general. I work with mostly non-Americans, with the majority of them being Canadians. It has been interesting to hear their views on things and to be in a place where I really am the minority in a lot of ways (religiously, politically, racially, etc.) I think it has really made me think about things differently. And really evaluate what my feelings are. One of the things that has really struck me is how much the r est of the world looks to our country and what is going on and how much our decisions affect the rest of the world. I find that most of the people I have talked to here are far more interested and concerned in the outcome of our election than most Americans I know. And they are far more informed too. It's made me feel like I should definitely learn a lot more about what is going on. And take things more seriously. The choices of a few really do affect the whole world. And, sadly, I think the rest of the world feels the impact of our choices more than we do.
So, I want to open up a political conversation with whoever is up for it. I would love to hear everyone's views, opinions, etc. I would love to learn from you and have things to think about whether I agree with them or not. I would love to here things in general about our country and the direction it's going or also specifics about the presidential candidates. Anything goes. So, please comment.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

Unfortunately, I think I'm too much like you. I don't get super-involved or really know a whole lot of what's going on. My parents sure do! So I always have them to ask about things. This is everything that I know about the presidential election: Mitt Romney is running and he's a Mormon. How will that affect his race? I'm very interested to know. And Hillary Clinton is running, and she just gives me the willies. She seems so harsh and abrasive. I know that is just a personality conflict--doesn't have much to do with platforms. I really watch the debates before the election, and those are a big deal to me.

Interesting post! I hope someone besides me comments, because I'm interested in the answers too! Desiree is political! She should have something better to say than me!

Hilary said...

I have always had very strong political views, but my inability to express them to others in a logical manner has always been lacking, so I usually try to stay quiet. I am definitely conservative, let's just put it that way.

As far as the presidential election. I think Mitt would make a great president and believe me this is not based on the fact he is LDS. Hillary scares me to death!! Mostly I think we should start over when it comes to congress. I'm sick of the bickering and the finger pointing. Everyone out there is so into power they have forgotten why we put them there in the first place, to get something done! I think we should vote everyone out and start over. Just my opinion.

I also get frustrated with the media. I can understand why the international community has a real negative view on some things. I think there is a real liberal bias and if you base your opinion on hearing only one side then it would only be natural to have such feelings.

Sometimes I just have to step back and not get super-involved, it just stresses me out. I never miss a vote, but besides that I know there isn't too much I can do.

Aaron said...

The greatest service you can do for your country is raising a righteous family, and you are doing just fine in that department.
I tried the political activity thing. Not for me. I don't the person I become when I focus on politics. Everyone who disagrees with be becomes inferior in my eyes. I start to have irritable and proud feelings towards wonderful people and this prevents me from loving them. . .
It's a me thing, I know. I just can't participate without going to the place of pride. Maybe later I can.

About the candidates.
Hillary? Hope not, but maybe.
Obama? No
Romney? Not going to happen.
Guiliani? Outside chance- but I don't like him much.

The only candidate I've actually heard speak at length is Ron Paul. he has a HUGE internet presence. He's not taken too seriously by the mainstream media. There are a lot of Mormons who like him (at least in the blogosphere).

I don't think other countries are more informed. Well, sure let's say that they are more informed. But information is not the same as knowledge, and knowledge is not the same as wisdom. THat's almost an exact quotation from Elder Oaks talk (see my last blog entry for a link to the talk). So, it's nice they (or anyone) seems to know a lot about politics. But just what does that mean? Basically that they spend more time than you watching the news. You are busy doing other good things with your family and community. THis is not a knock on those "others", just a note that you don't need to feel ashamed for not being "informed." You know the essential information that really matters.
Man, I am blabbing. . . I'll stop.

Desiree said...

Sorry I've discovered over time that I enjoy the history side of politics more than the day to day side. How illogical is that for you! Elections are always more interesting to me when you read it in a text book and already know how the outcome impacted everyone. I vowed that this presidential election I would pay more attention and vote more for the individual and their platform than for the party. Honestly, the most attention to detail I've paid so far is to enjoy the show with a morman, a black man and a woman being considered serious contenders for the seat. This election is definitely going to make history no matter who wins!