Photobucket

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Did It!

Saturday morning I ran in my first ever 10 mile race! The race started 10 miles up Provo Canyon and finished at the Riverwoods. Most of the race is along the Provo River Trail. It was so pretty. I ran with Desiree and it was so much fun! I really never would have thought that I would say that about running 10 miles, but it really was such a pleasant experience. It was kind of cool and even sprinkled a little bit. The mountains were beautiful and we went at a pace where we could enjoy it and talk the whole time. Actually, that's the only pace my legs know how to do, so I guess I was going as fast as I can. And I came in about 13 minutes quicker than my goal, so I was happy. Desiree's sister, Jen, also ran the race with us. Well, not exactly with us, since we only saw her at the beginning and the end--she came in a good 15 minutes before us. Go Jen!

My mother-in-law was there at the finish line with my kids! I didn't know that they were going to be there, so it was such a nice surprise. I love the feeling I have when I've finished a really long run, especially a race. But, that feeling quickly left as my bones, joints, and muscles started aching. I think I was pretty much useless the whole rest of the day and the next. I'm definitely getting old. :)

We are doing a half marathon on Aug. 8 and I'm glad that I have to keep running all summer long. It's nice to have something to work for because it gets me up and out in the mornings. I really thought when I signed up for these races, that I would do it once just to say that I had done it. But, I really already feel like I'd like to do it again next year and the next and the next. It's very addicting, in a good way.

I forgot to mention the fact that all 3 of us only got about 2 hours of sleep the night before the race. But, that's another story for another day...

6 comments:

Desiree said...

Only a few more weeks until we get to do it again!

Hilary said...

Ok, here is the plan. You guys can run your 1/2 marathon on Aug. 8th and then run the Top of Utah Marathon with me the 3rd Sat. in September! It's my first marathon and since you'll be pretty much trained you might as well cross "run a marathon" off your life's "to do" list. Come on, it will be fun and you can stay at my house the night before the race since it is up here in Logan. Think about it.

Rachelle said...

go mary!!! that's awesome. "i wanna be a runner too!!!!" ((((sigh))))) LOL. great job! that's incredible.

btw, sorry i missed our lunch with ipo. would have LOVED to have been there. next time, i promise! would love to see you guys.

Rochelle said...

Great Job!!! What an accomplishment. Being able to run is a great feeling!!! Go for the whole marathon:)!!!

la_sale_bete said...

that's awesome! congrats on such a great accomplishment! good luck keeping up your routine through the summer!

Kanabites said...

Good job! Races are addicting and the addiction never stops!