Photobucket

Friday, September 04, 2009

Late Nights

Man, I need to go to bed earlier. But, last night, my kids weren't tired. And even though I was trying to be firm and MAKE them go to bed, I ended up laying there with them longer than I had planned, telling stories of my high school days with the Silver Bullet and how we had to start it with the "pen trick". Which somehow led to me telling them that Mark used to have a name for his belly button. Which led to fits of laughter. Then when I told him what he used to call it (Vrosher), there was more laughter. Britton got the hiccups from laughing so hard. Then Haley wanted to hear it over and over again so we could laugh some more. Then she wanted to rename all her dolls funny things, so we laid there, in the bottom bunk, thinking of the funniest names possible. More laughter. And then I told them how Biz and I had names for all our pairs of shoes--Rainbow, Guntar, Pretty Blue Shoes, etc. It was getting late, so they asked me to sing to them. They requested songs in French. "Souviens-toi" is Britton's favorite. I've sung it to him since he was a newborn. And then right as they were both almost drifting off to sleep, Haley reached in and pulled out her first tooth! (which reminds me, the Tooth Fairy better go take care of her duties before Haley wakes up). I didn't even know she had a loose tooth. I don't think it was even loose. Afterwards, she told me she had been praying that she could lose a tooth soon. Cute. Then there were all the Tooth Fairy questions. How does she get in the house? What does she do with all the teeth? Why does she want people's teeth? And on and on. It was a while before we could actually go to bed.

So, this morning I am tired, but I wouldn't trade last night for all the sleep in the world.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

You sound a lot like me sometimes.
I sometimes wish I was better about getting my kids in bed, but then I would miss out on some of the great things that happen the way things are.

Aaron said...

Cool.
Thanks for sharing. A great reminder to enjoy our children instead of being uptight about their "proper behavior"--I am guilty of this far too often.