Photobucket

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Good Deeds, Scary Sicknesses, and Yellow Belts

Today was a busy day.

The morning started off great and I was able to do 2 good deeds before even 7:00. As we were out on our morning walk, there was a car stuck on the side of the road that couldn't make it up the hill by my parent's house. So, Cieanna and I pushed the car out. The man still had trouble turning around, he was sliding all over the place. He tried every possible way to turn around and just ended up backing up the whole way down the hill. Kind of scary. I felt so bad for him. He was driving a BMW and I know how bad they are in the snow because we used to have one. They have rear-wheel drive and it makes it so hard in the snow. I hope he made it wherever he needed to go okay.
When I got home from my walk, I grabbed my shovel to start shoveling my walks. I did my neighbors walks too because he ALWAYS does ours. I was so happy to be out and about before him so that I could surprise him by doing them. Then I did our other neighbors walks because he is not doing so well right now. He's been in and out of the hospital lately.
I was happy to be up so early and be able to start my day in such a good way.

Sunday night, Haley fell asleep really early, but I didn't think much of it because she didn't really take a nap since our church is from 1 to 4. But, about 10:00 she woke up and complained about her cheek hurting and then she threw up. I just thought her cheek was asleep or something, so I gave her a bath and then put her back to bed. She woke up several times in the night and ended up sleeping with us after a while. In the morning, she seemed to be feeling fine, but then, as I was holding her, she threw up again. Then later on, she complained about her cheek again. I realized it probably wasn't that her cheek was falling asleep, so I tried to get a look at it. She wouldn't even let me touch it because it hurt so much. Right next to her ear was a large bulge under neath her skin. I didn't see it before because of her hair. So, I immediately called the doctor to get her an appointment. He couldn't see her for a few hours, so I started looking things up on the internet to see what it could possibly be. The doctor diagnosed her as having infected salivary glands and an ear infection on that side. So, we got some antibiotics and hopefully she'll be back to normal within a week or so. (Except that she doesn't like the medicine and refuses to take it--how do you force a 2 year old to take medicine? Even if I get it in her mouth, she just spits it out.) Anyway, I'm really glad that it wasn't anything more serious.

In the afternoon, I took Britton to karate. Last Friday, he had his first belt review and he got his yellow belt. So, it was the first day of karate for him as a yellow belt. He is so proud, it's really cute. All weekend he would randomly mention something about his new belt. Last night, he was teaching Haley karate. He let her wear his white belt and he wore his yellow one. He made her say, "Yes, sir", "Attention", "Courtesy" and all the other things that they have to see. It was really cute to watch them. She's seen him in class enough times that she can do all the punches and kicks as well. I forgot to take my camera to the belt review, but I'll get a picture of Britton in his yellow belt sometime soon.

1 comment:

Beth & John said...

What a busy day! Having sick kids is always tough and you're right about 2 year olds taking meds. I bribe with something they like. Congrats to Britton on getting his yellow belt. I'm glad to find your blog and read about your happenings.
~Beth