Photobucket

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Little Boy is Growing Up!

Yesterday I registered Britton for kindergarten. I can't believe it's already that time. It goes by way too fast. Although, I'm excited for him to be in school and be able to learn and make friends and all of that good stuff, I'm a bit apprehensive and sad too. I know it's still 6 months away, but filling out all the forms and answering all the questions about him just made it all the more real. I know that intellectually he's definitely more than ready for this step, but emotionally, I'm not so sure. The past 2 months or so he has been VERY clingy to me. And it's not the normal clingy that kids go through. He doesn't like to leave my side AT ALL for anything, even playing with his best friends or being at his grandparents house. I wish I knew what was going on with him so I could somehow help fix it. Hopefully within the next 6 months it will work its way out and he'll be ready and excited for school.
Now I'll switch gears and brag about Britton and how smart he is. He is always amazing me. He has always been really good with numbers and interested in math without me pushing it at all. But, lately he has shown me numerous times just how math-minded he is. The past 6 months or so he has randomly been doing multiplication. He'll say to me, "Mom, four 2's are 8" or different things like that. I've never tried to teach him anything like that so he's just thinking about it on his own.
A few days ago, while Haley was sleeping, I got out an addition worksheet to have him do. I taught him what the + symbol meant and I knew he could count them out on his fingers and do them all. After a few minutes I looked over and he wasn't counting them out anymore, he was just filling in the answers and they were all right. I watched him as he did 4+2=6 in his head. I asked him how he knew that without counting and he said, "Well if 5+1 is 6 then 4+2 has to be 6". I was amazed that he's already thinking like that.
Then, Monday, on the way to karate, as we were driving, he said (out of nowhere), "Mom, three 3's plus 1 is the same thing as two 5's". I was blown away. I can't believe how much he is comprehending about numbers and how they relate to each other. Now I'm just worried that in school if he gets problems like 5+1 he'll put something like "1 less than 7" or something.

2 comments:

Madame said...

Wow, that is amazing! What a smart little guy. :)

Aaron said...

Mary,
Great site. I will need to find out how to add music to ours. Great writing, and that was a heartwarming and exciting story about Britton. How many little experiences do we have with the kids and we think "gotta write that down" and we never do. Blogging is a great way to get all those experiences down. . .and you'll easily complete the assignment from Sheryl for next Christmas.
I'm jazzed to build ours little by little. I am hoping to get the children excited about it. . .that way they'll want to go on an update it. We'll see. One big obstacle is having dial-up at home. Every time I think of hopping on the internet, I have to put myself in the frame of mind of having a great deal of patience. Perhaps we'll go cable one of these days soon.
Take care.
--Aaron