Photobucket

Thursday, August 30, 2007

First Day Reflections

Today (Wednesday) was my first day with students. I was kind of dreading it just because I'm still not used to the idea that I am working now. But, I had so much fun today. I only had my 8th grade classes because the 7th graders are doing military training the rest of this week. So, it was a pretty low key day--I only taught 3 40-minute periods.
The students are great. They are just a lot of fun. I love hearing them speak English. The boys are really funny and the girls are really cute. It's a fun age. I just did Get-to-Know you things, but I did it a bit different than everyone else and I think they liked that. I made a list of questions and they had to pair up and interview each other. Then, they had to introduce their classmate that they interviewed to the rest of the class. It gave me a chance to get to know them, but also see how they work together and how well they speak English.
I think I'm really lucky with my job. Probably the hardest part for me is going to be learning their names. I have about 210 students to figure out and if Chinese people aren't hard enough to tell apart, they're all wearing the exact same uniform! Plus some of the girls have the really boy-looking haircuts. I've always been good with names, but this is going to be harder. At least I just have to learn their English names and not their Chinese ones.

No comments: