Photobucket

Friday, April 13, 2007

The 10 Virgins


Thursday night I went to a Stake Young Women's Fireside. It was so good and I have been thinking about it ever since. The whole thing revolved around the theme of the parable of the ten virgins. They split us up into 10 groups and we rotated around to different classrooms where we heard from someone representing each of the 10 virgins, but a modern day version. The five wise virgins were examples of each of the following virtues: 1) a Christ-like person, 2) Repentance and Forgiveness, 3) Ordinances and temple work, 4) Truth, light, and knowledge/talents, and 5) Charity-service to others. The five foolish virgins were: 1)Vanity and seeking after riches, 2)Sins and pleasures of the world, 3) Addictions and excess, 4) Dark works and idol worshipping, and 5) Unrighteous power and ego (pride). The way it was set up, we alternated between righteous and foolish so the contrast was very obvious. We spent only about 5 minutes in each room, but it was still very impactful. I related to each women in some way, sometimes in many ways. And I related just as much to the foolish as to the righteous. Some of the justifications and excuses that the foolish women were saying were things that I say to myself everyday. It was very powerful and eye-opening. It was a good reminder and powerful lesson that we must be working to "fill our lamps with oil" drop by drop and that we each need to be spiritually prepared because that is not something we can borrow from someone else. At the end, we all went into the chapel and the "bridegroom" spoke to us. There was a door placed at the front and one by one the foolish virgins came in and knocked on the door. As the bridegroom turned them each away, it was again a powerful lesson for me. He said to some that they were too late. To others he said, "I don't know you". Some begged to be let in. Some pleaded to be with their families. It had a big impact on me that not only do I want to be prepared for when that day comes, but I also want all my family to be prepared as well.
I learned so much from each of the wonderful women who participated. Although they were "acting", it still was very real to me. Each one did such a remarkable job. I was inspired to be better by listening to each one of them. And I was definitely humbled by how much I could relate to each of the foolish virgins. I think it's easy for us to let our priorities get mixed up and seek after things that are not important. I hope I can remember how I felt throughout the evening and apply some of the many lessons I have learned.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Sounds like an inspiring activity. I was surprised at the traits that were chosen for the five foolish virgins--those don't strike me as sins that I see most women struggling with--I would have chosen some different ones. . .I don't mean this in a bad way, just an observation. I don't see a lot of women (in the church, anyway) struggling with "pleasures of the world" or "dark works and idol worshipping" or "unrighteous power". These sound like struggles of the men in the church. Then again, what do I know?--this is just an outsider's perspective on what women might struggle with. My rambling reminds me that I actually have little to no idea what others' struggles are; and it's really none of my business. I can be a good friend and help as needed. And I can work on filling my own lamp. Now I'll be thinking about my five (at least) foolish traits all day long. . .