Photobucket

Friday, April 06, 2007

Hiking to the Y








This week for our preschool field trip we hiked to the Y. It was "Y" week, if you couldn't guess. Only one more week and we've made it through the whole alphabet. It was a such a fun little hike, but when we were up there, Britton had a really good fall that gave everyone (especially me) a scare. We were sitting at the very top of the Y and we started scooting down. It's pretty steep so you have to sit down to scoot. Britton stood up and started walking down. He stumbled and started going pretty fast. We fell down backwards and continued tumbling. He did a complete back somersault and then skidded to a stop. It was the scariest thing I've ever seen. Especially because there was nothing I could do at all. I just kept yelling, "Sit down, sit down". Luckily, he only had a scrape on his elbow. It was pretty miraculous that he wasn't more hurt. He was very scared though. And so was I but I had to just pretend like everything was okay. I just held him and let him cry. Then I held him on my lap and scooted down the rest of the Y. I had to carry him on my shoulders most of the way down the mountain too because walking made his elbow hurt more. I am so grateful that he didn't get hurt more than he did. And that he actually stopped rolling down. It could have been so much worse.
Other than that, we had such a fun time. I'm totally out of shape though. It was much harder for me to hike it than it used to be. There was a man biking up the mountain and I couldn't believe it. It's so steep. And there were many joggers too that totally showed us up. We took our own sweet time. I blamed our slow pace on the 4 year olds, but, truthfully, I was happy whenever they suggested taking a break.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Great pictures. I need to start taking pictures of our family. Sounds like a lot of fun. It's amazing how resilient kids are. Has your heart resumed it's normal pace yet from Britton's fall? Glad that he is okay. That's rather brave to make that hike, much more with 4 and 5 year-olds.