Photobucket

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Dumpster Diving, Fire Safety, and Crochet Parties!

For Young Women last night, we had a service project with the Young Men. Like I mentioned in my previous entry, we have dumpsters strategically placed throughout the neighborhood for our spring neighborhood clean up. So, we all split up and wandered the neighborhood helping some of the older people, mostly widows, with their yard work and trash disposal. It turned out to be so much fun. We were helping my neighbor load up a bunch of tree limbs and the dumpster was getting full, so I climbed in to stomp it all down. Everyone pretty much got a kick out of that. Some of the girls even took pictures of me jumping around in the dumpster. But, it actually made so much more room. So, we were able to fit everything in. After finishing up at my neighbors, we headed over to meet up with the other groups. There's an old lady who has a hedge around her entire back yard that is pyracantha. They are very pokey. Although, they are great for keeping her backyard private, they are not the easiest thing to trim. Our ward does it every spring and every fall for her. I was amazed at how much the young men and young women just got in there and went to work. They accomplished so much and we all had such a good time.

This evening, Jason and I went to dinner at Goodwood Barbecue and we had to listen to a fire safety lecture. I knew there would be some sort of sales pitch, but I didn't care because I've been wanting to try Goodwood for a long time. So, this way we got to try it for free. The food was great, but even better, the presentation ended up being very informative and interesting. The presenter was very entertaining and she wasn't pushy or anything about selling her products. Plus we learned a lot about all the things we are not doing to prevent fires in our home. It was good information and now we can be better prepared to deal with a fire if one does happen.

After the presentation, we watched the Jazz game. I'm not nearly the Jazz fan that I used to be, but I do really enjoy the playoffs. Every year around playoff time, my mom starts projects (usually making quilts) so that she has something productive to do while watching all the games. Well, I decided to follow her lead this year and work on some of my unfinished projects while I watched. I pulled out an afgan that I've been working on FOREVER and started crocheting. Soon, Haley wanted to join me. And then Britton. And then Jason even grabbed a hook and started in. Haley weaved yarn in and out of an old project. Britton made everyone yarn necklaces and practiced tying knots. And Jason and I both actually crocheted. It was really fun. It reminded me of the good old days when Jason and I were dating and he always pretended to like crocheting so he could come to all the "girl" crochet parties. I didn't get much done, but it was still a fun way to pass the time together while watching the game.

2 comments:

Beth & John said...

I remember Jason crocheting little green squares when you guys were dating. I always thought there must be something better that he was getitng out of it:)

Aaron said...

Goodwood does have some good food. That's a great idea to have a family project going on during a movie or game. I'll have to think of a fun project; I'm not sure the kids would be up for crocheting. Truth be told, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to teach them all.