Photobucket

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Fun Memories

Last night we went over to Kiwanis Park to watch Jason play volleyball. Although we have been there numerous times since we moved from the Provo House, for some reason I was feeling very nostalgic for the neighborhood and my college/early married days. There was just something in the air. I really love that park and the feeling that is there. There is always something fun and exciting going on. Yesterday was very typical. There were several volleyball nets set up, a game of ultimate frisbee going on, many sun-bathers, tennis players, and lots of kids on the playgrounds. There was a group of people that had a really neat, expensive looking kite. It was very colorful and they were able to control it somewhat. My kids had a great time watching them fly it. There was also a couple of boys who had secured a tight rope between two trees. They took turns trying to cross the rope barefoot. They had some great balance. My kids were mesmerized by that too.
We mostly played on the playgrounds while we were there. There were two new fun toys for the kids to play on. One was a huge spider web-looking thing that they could climb on. I even climbed to the top which made Britton scream, "Mom, you better get down, you might break it!" The other new toy were some big fake rocks that kids could climb to the top of. That was Britton's favorite. It reminded me of Moab and all the big rocks there are to climb. He had fun just being up there, being the king of the mountain. Haley was happy playing on all the regular old toys--slides, swings, etc. The playgrounds have been updated quite a few times throughout the years, but they still have the old metal balance beam that my sister, Sheryl, broke her arm on about 25 years ago. It still scares me to watch my kids walk on it even though it's only a few inches off the ground. I guess because I know how badly she got hurt on it. She had to have surgery and had pins put in her arm and therapy. I don't remember everything but she was in the hospital for a little while (long enough to miss my birthday party).
It was fun being there and just thinking about all the good memories, from my childhood, while I was in college, and after I first got married. I spent so many days in that park with so many different people. A part of me longs to move back to that neighborhood again.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Makes me want to move there, too. Quite a different feel than SouthRidge park! That park still scares me a bit.