Photobucket

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Bridge Club

I am in a bridge club that meets every Thursday night. For some reason, I always picture old people when I hear "bridge club". And, I must admit, that everyone in the club is probably about 20 years older than me (or at least 15). But, I don't care. And they aren't exactly the kind of people that I would particulary choose to hang out with regularly. But, again, I don't care. I love playing cards. And bridge is the ultimate card game. It is the most complicated, most strategic of all games. I'm still in the learning phase and very much a rookie, but it is still so much fun. Most card games are mostly about chance, but bridge is different. It really does matter how you play the cards. Each and every move can make or break it for your team. You can play your whole life and still learn and discover new things about the game. The complex bidding system is the part I think I enjoy the most. It's like speaking in code and it's fun trying to remember what everything means and communicate as perfectly as possible. But, it's also fun to see how the hands play out. There is a Chinese man who comes and plays whenever we need an extra person. He is quite the expert. He is always my partner and it's so much fun to watch how he maps out each move when we win the bid. He really plays well, knowing when to finesse the other team. Each trick is played deliberately and precisely, almost nothing left to chance. I'm learning so much from getting to play regularly and I hope it's something that I can continue to do no matter where I'm living. (Hint, hint--Mom and Dad, start brushing up on your bridge skills!)

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Fun! I love games! You'll have to teach me when you get home. You are coming home, right?