Photobucket

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Just some randomness

*My students are working on a project writing a commercial about saving endangered species. A lot of them have big posters/banners that say "Save the chimpanzee" or "Save the tiger" or whatever their animal is. All I could think about the whole time I was watching them work was "Save the cheerleader, save the world" (from Heroes). I think I watch too much tv.

*Also whenever I'm watching my students do projects, it reminds me of all the groups project I did in Jr. High with Desiree, Amber, and Tya--writing and performing melodramas, the French Christmas presentation, the Tabloid magazine (Moon magazine) that we wrote and sold. Anyway, there were tons. And it seems like we were always making up songs to remember things for tests or for different presentations. Anyway, these songs get stuck in my head some 20 years later while I'm watching my students. "Dary Sckedams fashion designers incorporated, fashion designers incorporated, fashion designers incorporated, Dary Sckedams fashion designers incorporated, BUY our stuff!" "Ran said the goon in Burma, Peking over the wall of China, Jakarta! Jakarta! cry unto the people of Indonesia. " and so on. These are the things that go through my head all day long.

*Britton has the greatest memory. He just soaks in anything and everything that I teach him. I use all the same power point presentations that I use with my classes at school and I show them to Britton and Haley during lunch. I can't believe all the information that Britton retains. I need to be better at taking advantage of this time when he really is like a sponge, soaking it all in. Sometimes I get lazy and stop do regular "homeschool" with them. The other day one of Britton's friends (a 7 year old) came in and asked me, "How does Britton know everything?" I thought it was pretty funny. He does know quite a bit. Unfortunately, right now, his knowledge is limited to science and math since that is what is easiest and most natural for me to teach.

*Last night Britton wrote a story by himself about a bear that lives in a house with a "trdl shel roof" (turtle shell roof) It was a cute story and I just love when kids try to write things. It's so fun to see the spelling that they come up with.

*Haley cut her own hair the other day. It was when Jason and I were gone and the Aiee was here. Fortunately her hair is curly and therefore the cuts aren't as evident. She mainly cut in front (probably where she could reach) so it actually just looks like bangs and some layers. I asked her why she did it and she said, "so I won't have to have ponytails anymore". She cut quite a bit, but it's really not that noticeable. In fact, it took me a bit before I even noticed and then when I mentioned it to Jason he said, "oh, I thought something looked different". So it definitely wasn't one of those drastic cuts that most little kids do where there is no possible way to hide the damage they've done.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

I wish I remembered all the capital songs we made up. I remember a handful of them, but I think Rangoon, Peking, Montevideo have stuck the best!