Photobucket

Monday, January 21, 2008

My Morning Commute

I ride my bike to school every morning. It's about a 3-5 minute bike ride, not long at all. When I say that, I'm sure that you are all picturing a quiet little neighborhood with calm streets and no traffic, a ride where I would maybe pass some students walking, a few cars, and that's all. Well, that's far from the truth. My morning commute is CRAZY! This morning I decided to pay attention to everything around me since it is so different than the states. On the way to school I crossed paths with 6 buses, 14 cars, 59 bikes or mopeds, and countless amounts of people on foot--guards, people waiting for the bus, people walking to school, etc. Did you notice that 59 bikes or mopeds? Yes, and that is no exaggeration. In fact, I didn't even start counting at the beginning of my ride. Add all those things in with the fact that none of these vehicles is inclined to obey any sort of traffic law, and you have quite a crazy mess. Cars, bikes, motorcycles, and even pedestrians, don't wait for anything. They just go around or go in the wrong lane. It's really quite amazing, something you probably have to see to believe. It's like a different obstacle course every morning on the way to work.
Luckily, when traveling on my lunch break or after school, it's not nearly as crowded. In the mornings, I just happen to hit the swarms of workers wearing light blue jackets all making their way into Clifford each morning. It's quite a sight. I wish I had a picture of it, but, of course, I'm always on my bike, in the midst of chaos. Not really the best time to pull out the camera.

No comments: