Photobucket

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tribute to a Prophet

I read the news on people's blogs that President Hinckley had passed away. When I read it, my heart sunk and I was in disbelief. It seems like it came out of nowhere, even though he was 97 years old. I guess I should have been more ready for it, but he never did seem his age.

When we told Britton about it, he was very interested and really wanted to talk about it. He said, "It's a sad day for us, but a happy one for him." I'm always amazed at how well children can put everything in perspective.

I don't think I have the words to express the love, admiration, and respect that I have for this man. I know that he was a prophet of God. But, even as such, I think everyone who knew him considered him a friend. I know I did. Even though I never really met him, other than shaking his hand once, I always felt a close connection with him. I could feel his love when he spoke. He will forever be an example to me of optimism and service, of what it means to give yourself to the Lord, and of the happiness that you can have when you do that. He lived a full, exemplary life. He will be greatly missed.

No comments: