Photobucket

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Math Mind Wanderings

Next semester I am teaching mainly math. But, it's not exactly math, it's English so it's more like math vocabulary which sounds about as dry as you can get. So, I've been planning out what I want to do and looking for fun projects and activities to go along. And I'm really getting excited for it. I think most math teachers have lots of great ideas of fun projects, but they never get to use them because they don't have time. They have to teach the concepts, so they don't have any time left over. But, with my situation, my students learn all the concepts in their chinese classes, so we can just have fun with all of it in my class. Or at least that's the plan.

In all my searching for things, I get a little distracted from the actual planning. Yesterday I was looking for fun brainteaser and number/logic puzzles and of course, that means I spent the afternoon playing math games and puzzles. Then, today I'm trying to put together a project about tessellations and I got sucked into reading the history of it all and reading about M.C. Escher's life. I rediscovered how much I really love his works. Here is one that really delights me.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Seriously, you are the cutest math teacher ever.

Leanne said...

what a fun trip, cute pictures, your kids are getting so big, I can't believe the tigers how scary, but fun.