Photobucket

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Conquering Enmity--Part 1

I haven't been able to post as often as I'd like about my studies on pride. In fact, I haven't been able to study as much as I like either, but here are my thoughts for now.

The first thing in Pres. Benson's talk that will help us be humble is conquering enmity. He defines enmity as "hatred towards, hostility to, or a state of opposition." And then he says this is the "power by which Satan wishes to reign over us." I thought that was very interesting. Satan wants power out of hatred and pride. And the opposite of that is Christ who wants to serve and love. I think in every relationship we have we can ask ourselves if we are trying to have power over that person or if we are trying to serve and love that person.

The first scripture going along with conquering enmity is D&C 38:24 . In it, it says, "And let every man esteem his brother as himself..." If we esteem everyone as ourselves, we will not feel enmity towards them. But, this is much easier said than done. For me, it is way too easy to think of myself first and think that my priorities, thoughts, and ideas are more important and/or better than others. This is something that is really difficult for me and will probably be a lifelong pursuit. But, this week, as I have been trying to focus on others and esteeming them as myself, I have already felt a great change in my life. I've been trying to think of other's needs first or at least as often as I think of my own. It has allowed me to have so much more patience and understanding with my kids. And more love in our home.

Although this is something that I've had to consciously work on this week in my family, it is still a somewhat easy thing to do because I already love my family and would do anything for them. But, what about everyone else? Do I esteem them as myself? Do I think I am better than others? Am I able to show love to everyone? These are the things that I have been thinking about and hope to be able to improve on.

More to come about conquering enmity...
Additional scriptures: Deuteronomy 17:20 and 1 Corinthians 4:7

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Thanks, Mary.

dlkenney said...

I love the scripture references...thanks