Photobucket

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Receiving Counsel and Chastisement

I started writing this post about a week ago, but never finished. This is what I have been working on the past week or so.

So, the second thing that Pres. Benson talks about in choosing to be humble is to receive counsel and chastisement. My comments on this subject will be more brief than the first because I'm already so good at it. :) Just kidding.
I really tried to think about how I am doing about receiving counsel. I came to the conclusion that it really depends on who is giving the counsel. And, of course, we don't have to and really shouldn't follow after everyone's counsel. I love to hear the prophet and apostles speak and I hunger for anything that they are saying that I can use in my life. But, that doesn't mean that I am always so good about implementing it.
So, here are a few things I learned from the scriptures.
*We can trust the Lord's counsel because it comes from wisdom, justice, and mercy (Jacob 4:10)
*The Lord chastens us because He loves us (Helaman 15:3)
*When we don't follow the Lord's counsel, we lose the Spirit (D&C 63:55)
*We cannot be sanctified without chastening from the Lord (D&C 101:4-5)
*We must be tried in all things to receive the glory He has in store for us (D&C 136:31)

After studying this topic, I decided I needed to work on receiving counsel from the Lord with an open heart, but also receiving counsel from others humbly and without offense and then taking that counsel to the Lord to see if it is good for me. Since we just had General Conference, I decided to go back and study the talks that were given to make sure I am heeding all of the counsel. This will be an ongoing thing, since I have only made it through 3 talks so far. But, it's already helped me immensely.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I really like the scriptures you shared. Thanks.