Photobucket

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Conquering Enmity--Part 2

One of the scriptures that really helped give me some perspective is 1 Corinthians 4:7. It says, "For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?" I need to remember this scripture when I start feeling like I am better than someone else for whatever reason. Remember that everything was given to me. Everything comes from God, not ourselves. I need to remember to be grateful and humble, not hateful and proud.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I just finished Xenocide on my lunch break and cried at the death of Gloriously Bright. She was a tragic, confused mixture of someone whose devotion to "the Gods" caused her to have enmity towards others. At first, I though the root of her enmity was pride. Then, the last line of the novel gives us some very important insight (no, I will not reveal the last line here). But her last words reveal that although pride was a factor, there was something even deeper: a longing to belong, a longing for love and acceptance. We all have that longing to be loved; we must be vigilant with ourselves, that this desire for acceptance doesn't become our priority in life. One key might be found in Mosiah 3:19 - "yielding to the enticings of the holy Spirit".